Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday’s Book

Even though it is billed as a teen book I would highly recommend being at least 16/18 to read this book. (tad bit of language, and sexual references) I also believe it would not hold the attention of a 13/14 year old.

An ordinary bloke delivering messages, changing people’s lives. In the end, Ed realizes that his life is not so ordinary after all. He matters. It’s pretty much summed up when he says that “if a guy like him can stand up and do what he did, then maybe everyone can. Maybe everyone can live beyond what they’re capable of.”

This book was written before The Book Thief which is one of my all time favorite reads. Though it grabbed my attention enough to finish it and I love the characters. I would say The Book Thief is much, much better book.

I enjoyed this book though I did find the ending a bit of a let-down. I was hoping for a resolution, but was left with more questions than answers. It felt as though Zusak rushed the ending. Leaving me with the huge question.  And who exactly was the mastermind?

Maybe these things don’t matter. We should just appreciate the book’s message.

Favorite passage:

As the kids dance around the front yard under the night sky and the lights, I see something.

Lua and Marie are holding hands.

They look like they are so happy, just inside this moment, watching the kids and the lights on their old fibro house.

Lua kisses her.

Just softly on the lips.

And she kisses back.

Sometimes people are beautiful.

Not in looks.

Not in what they say.

Just in what they are. 

 

And this is why we will continue to love Zusak’s writing.

No comments: