Sunday, January 20, 2013

My heart had great experience!

photo (43)

I have started  an unusual challenge that all began with my new phone.

I saw that you could download all the general conferences since 1971.

So I downloaded all of them!

I enjoy reading the general conference talks -

so I decided to start in 1971, and read forward.

I guess in a way I am making up for sleeping thru many a general conference.

It is very interesting that the things they talked about in 1971 are relevant for 1971.

Which strengthens my belief that what the prophets and apostles teach in this conference is very important for us to hear

– right now.

Take my favorite talk – so far..

April 1971 – I was 4 years old,

If you are interested the following are a few highlights –

Read on -

it will bring a smile to your face.

Brothers and sisters; as a text for my remarks I would like to quote an interesting line from Ecclesiastes in which the wise man Solomon said,

“My heart had great experience.” (Eccl. 1:16.)

Certainly the most successful lives are those that have the most worthwhile experiences. The religion of Christ itself is not so much a set of ideas as it is a set of activities. The purpose of the Church is to help us translate the principles of the gospel of Christ into constructive, meaningful human experience. And everyone should work toward this end by a daily practice of thinking some uplifting thoughts, listening to some fine music, reading some stimulating literature, doing some good deeds, and having some great experiences every day.

Because we draw so much from the rebellion, weakness, and evil with which we are surrounded, we tend to load ourselves up too heavily with guilt complexes, mental problems, insecurity, and mediocrity.

I recently heard of a man who compounded the problem by hoarding his mistakes.

He often referred to the fact that his D.F.T. drawer was the largest file in his office.

Someone once asked him what these file letters stood for,

and he said they identified a collection of the damn fool things that he had done.

Most of us are not bad people—we just let our D.F.T. files get too large.

For whenever excellence is recounted, it is increased.

“Hang on the walls of your mind the memory of your successes.

Take counsel of your strength, not your weakness. Think of the good jobs you have done. Think of the times when you rose above your average level of performance and carried out an idea or a dream or a desire for which you had deeply longed. Hang these pictures on the walls of your mind and look at them as you travel the roadway of life.”

Now I am not going to burden you this afternoon with the contents of my D.F.T. file,

but I would like to tell you about some of my great experiences.

Great experience number one is that I managed to get myself born, and I have been very pleased about that ever since.

One of my greatest experiences was that my parents taught me the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Eight years after I was born, I learned something about the great principle of repentance by which we can clear out our D.F.T. files and be born again.  I became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and had the gift of the Holy Ghost officially conferred upon me.Then I had another great experience. I discovered that I could be reborn as many times as I desired, and that each time I could be reborn better.

I am presently in possession of the world’s most valuable information. I know that God lives, that we were created in his image, and that by obeying the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the offspring of God may eventually hope to become like their eternal parents.

And most of our greatest experiences are yet ahead of us. One of them will be the glorious second coming of Jesus Christ.

Every one of us will have a literal bodily resurrection, and what a great experience that will be!

And my wish for each one of you is that you may spend your eternal life in the celestial kingdom of God.

Then you may say, “My heart hath had its greatest experience.”

-Sterling W Sill

(His voice became familiar to many during his seventeen years on the weekly radio program Sunday Evening from Temple Square, broadcast over KSL Radio from 1960 to 1977.) 

– I vaguely remember my parents listening to that Sunday evening program

 

Told you  - you would smile!! Have a great week!

The above is a fraction of this uplifting message. READ IT!  – you won’t be sorry!

No comments: